Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Essay: Migration in my family

There has been a great deal of migration in my family. The migration is both in my direct family and my parent’s family. My family migrated to different cities, states and countries. This is a short piece on my family’s migrations. Their struggles their learning and their gains.

My great grandfather and his family used to live in Lahore. This was the time before the partition of India into Pakistan and India. They were told to move to India as only Muslims were allowed to live in Pakistan and the Hindu and other religions were told to move to India. In India they moved to Luckhnow for 10 years. During this period of 10 years he started The Central Drug Research Institute. Sometime after starting this Research facility they moved to Varanasi. They lived in Varanasi for 5 years.

From Varanasi they shifted to Hyderabad. They shifted their and have been living there for the past 35 years. Hyderabad is where they currently live along with my cousins and their families in Hyderabad. I visit them in my vacations. I visit Hyderabad to meet my grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins.

In the meanwhile my father used to live in Calcutta; he stayed there for 30 years of his life. Then he moved to Hyderabad for 3 years. At the time my mom was in Hyderabad for 30 years. After which my parents and I moved to Singapore for 1 year. From Singapore we returned to India. We stayed in Chennai for 1 year before shifting to Noida. We stayed in Noida for 2 years.

Bangalore was our next shift after Noida we have been in Bangalore for the past 7 years and now it has become my home. There were shifts within Bangalore too. I used to live in Prestige Greenwood, C.V Raman Nagar. From there I shifted to Knightsbridge Apartment, Brookfield. I have even had migrations of schools in Bangalore like first I used to study in Ryan International, from Ryan I shifted to my present school Inventure Academy.

That was the story of my family and my migration.

by Siddharth

No comments:

Post a Comment