Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Essay: Migration in my family

For generations, my family lived in India. My father’s parents and siblings in Delhi and my mother’s parents and siblings in Bangalore. Until I was two. We had settled down to a simple life in Bangalore, the three of us in a cosy family. When my father told us that we had to move to England because he was transferred there, we thought he was speaking a foreign tongue, because the idea was so strange for us. My mother had lived in Karnataka all her life and the furthest she had travelled was Delhi, to meet my father’s family, while I had stayed within the borders of the southern half all my two years!

But we went, nevertheless, to England…another dimension, it seemed, for us. When we reached, we felt like we were in another world. Everything was so different. The people made us feel out of place, the shops had us in awe, the cleanliness had us blown away.

It was seven years when we finally decided to come back to India. Everything was so different from what we were used to in England. The streets were dirty. Shops sold cheap quality products, the people were vulgar and manner less. I didn’t think I would like living here at all!

But one month into my new lifestyle, I realized something. India had something that no other country had. India gave a feeling of belonging, an atmosphere to show that you had a home, no matter which country you were from, China, America, England…

In India, people care for you, no matter how proud you are, or how rude you are. They will love you for who you are….

England was a wonderful place to live in…but if it was up to me, I would have never migrated there…Home is where the heart is, they say. My heart is in India.

By Deeksha Verender, Grade 7B.

No comments:

Post a Comment